History from non-historians
Since being mentioned the very first time more than a 1000 years ago Leipzig has developed as important trade centre, however the city as it is today has been formed primarily during two eras: The so-called "Gründerzeit" at the beginning of the 20th century left a lot of impressive buildings, both residential and industrial, hard to find elsewhere in Germany. After major destructions during WW II the GDR post-war-architecture focused more on functional buildings, however with some notable exceptions (if funds were available) like the Gewandhaus.
Or, in short in the entrance area of the Neues Rathaus:
Already Goethe was excited, today there is the term "Hypezig" - though there is quite something on. Have a look at the architecture mentioned above, there is plenty of arts and culture (check out the Leipziger Kreuzer), gastronomy, markets, sports, nature - you name it (with the exception of mountains or real sea, unfortunately).
- The Zoo
- The lakes, rivers, channels, ...
- Jump in yourself? The Cospuden lake is the closest, but there are many more
- Take a kayaking tour? There are a couple of rental opportunities close by
- The floating coffee table
- Something unexpected? Leipzig even has a harbour and the Elster-Saale-Kanal, which neither connects to the rivers Elster nor Saale
- Pedal the city - luckily this is quite pleasant here - all flat, many parks and green areas, usually reasonable bike ways at street
- View from the Uni-Riese (there is also a cafe on top)
- The Völkerschlachtmuseum (even in winter)
- All kinds of museums
- A city tour by bus
- Hunting Handschwengelpumpen? What is that anyway?
- Leipzig from above
- From the Uni-Riese
- From the Völkerschlachtdenkmal
- From the Fockeberg
- From the Wackelturm
- From the Bergbau-Technik-Park
- From a balloon - there are various providers (of which we have none tested yet)
- Leipzig from below
- supposedly it is possible to book a tour through Leipzig's sewage system with the Leipzig water works (not tried yet) Tel 0341 9690
- searching through the WWW you will find a few other options - admittedly not tested yet either (Grünauer Versorgungsschächte, Bowlingzentrum)
- Home of the Gartenzwerg: the Kleingartenmuseum
- The Spoon-family